Basic Cheesecake ~ Edmonds Cookbook
This is basic cheesecake recipe from the Edmonds cookbook. I find you can add and adapt it to suit your mood and taste at the time.
I added more lemon juice and more lemon rind, which I chopped chunky because we
like lemons, and they are our lemons. (not sprayed)
In the past, I swapped out the sour cream for mascarpone, quark, and cream cheese just depends on what I have in the fridge at the time.
You can decorate it or just leave plain. Entirely up to you.
Where to buy you iconic Edmonds cookbook.
- 250 grams of plain biscuits. They can be anything from wine biscuits, Marie biscuits or digestives.
- 1 teaspoon of grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 75 grams of melted butter
- 2 teaspoons of gelatin
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 250 grams of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 250 grams of sour cream or more cream cheese or mascapone
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice ( I used a whole lemon juiced)
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind ( I used about two tablespoons of lemon rind and left it chunky)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Finely crush biscuits. Combine the biscuit crumbs, lemon rind, juice, and the butter. Line the base and sides with of a 20cm spring-form pan with the biscuit mixture. Or just line the bottom. Press firmly and make nice and compact.
- Chill. Then prepare the filling. Pour the filling into prepared base, smooth the top. Chill until set. Leave plain or decorate.
- Combine gelatin and water. leave to swell for ten minutes. Beat cream until soft. Add sour cream and beat till well combined. Add sugar, lemon juice, rind and vanilla. Beat until the sugar has dissolved. Dissolve the gelatin over hot, ( bowl over hot water or double boiler) Add to cheese. Mix to combine.