Rocky Road Slice
Rocky Road Slice
Rocky Road Slice. This recipe is from the Edmonds cookbook “Best of Baking”. It is a cookbook I wish I got a long time ago. It has so many recipes that I have not seen before. An example of some are lemon curd cake and yoghurt cake, chocolate cherry brandy cake, this would be a cake nice for Christmas, or rajahs Pizza, spiced pumpkin pie or festive chocolate cake. So many to try.
In the description I have added in what I did. It is a fairly thin base. And very easy to make.
Keep in the refrigerator in warm weather. You can use small marshmallows or large and cut them in half or leave whole. Or you could use just pink ones or just white ones. The choice is limited by your imagination.
I have coasted it out. You can make it cheaper if you use home brand ingredients and buy when on special. And use walnuts instead of pistachios.
This is a great page to cost your recipes on http://www.pricingbakedgoods.com/
Where to get the Best of Baking Cookbook?
From my shop. Check it out
- 1 cup flour (156 grams)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (1gram)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa (30 grams)
- ¾ cup caster sugar (108 grams)
- ¾ cup coconut (50 grams)
- 125 grams butter, melted
- 1 egg (50 grams)
- 250 grams dark chocolate, chopped (or melts or bits)
- 2 tablespoons of kremelta or copha or coconut oil (40 grams)
- 25 marshmallows
- ½ cup toasted coconut (13 grams)
- ½ pistachio nuts (75 grams)
- Grab a big bowl, sift flour, baking powder and cocoa into it. Stir in caster sugar and coconut.
- Add in the butter and egg and give it a good mix. Spread over the base of a greased 27 x 18 cm baking tray.
- If you don't have one this size, use a bigger one and use some tin foil as a divider at the right size. It is a fairly thin base
- Bake at 180° degree Celsius ( 356° Fahrenheit) for 20-25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes, then spread with topping.
- To make the topping, place the chocolate and kermelta in a heatproof bowl and sit it over a simmering saucepan of water. Or use a double boiler. Stir continuously until both chocolate and kremelta have melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Add the marshmallows, coconut and nuts to the melted chocolate.
- Mix well. Spread over the warm base. Allow the topping to set before cutting into pieces.
- I cut some of the marshmallows up for smaller chunks.
- NB: during warm weather keep the slice in the refrigerator